Floors are a big part of spring cleaning. Different floors have specific cleaning instructions. This week let’s talk about how to take care of your vinyl (LVP/LVT/sheet) floor:
Your luxury vinyl plank or sheet vinyl flooring is not only beautiful, but it is also highly durable and waterproof. It only takes a few simple care and maintenancesteps to keep your vinyl floors looking beautiful for years to come:
• Spills should be cleaned up immediately• Use a soft bristle broom to remove loose dirt
• Damp mop as needed with clean water and a non-abrasive floor cleaner. Harsh cleaning chemicals should not be used on luxury vinyl flooring• Never push, pull, or drag furniture across vinyl floors. Always lift and carry
• Heavy furniture or appliances that are not moved often should be equipped with flat, nonstaining floor protectors
• Avoid using a vacuum with a beater bar
• Many people move their refrigerator to clean behind it as part of spring cleaning. If you are doing this, be sure you first lay down a sheet of plywood and roll the refrigerator onto the plywood. This keeps you from tearing or indenting the vinyl
• For spot stain treatment, use a very diluted bleach solution that is 1 part bleach and 10 parts water
• Sheet vinyl: if the floor is showing wear, you can apply wax to bring back the shine. However, be sure you clean the floor thoroughly before waxing, and be sure to use the wax made by the flooring manufacturer. Also, once you begin waxing a floor, remember that you will need to strip it before you wax it again
Tips To Spring Clean Your Kitchen
Wipe It Down -- walls and countertops, as well as sinks and cabinets.
Clean the Refrigerator — Empty the fridge and freezer, keeping perishables in a cooler. Remove the glass shelves, spraying and wiping down each as well as the ceramic interior. Be sure to go over door seals with hot water and a small bit of dishwashing liquid and, before placing everything back, ensure they’re dry so the suction will hold secure.
Degrease Appliances — Put the oven on its self-cleaning function if it’s not too dirty, But for a deeper clean, apply a baking soda and water paste, allowing it to sit for at least 20 minutes to break down the grease and burnt food. For the microwave, place a bowl of lemon juice water blend inside and cook until boiling–approximately two to three minutes–to loosen food particles, wiping it clean with a damp cloth.
Clean the Floors — Kitchen floors see tons of traffic and spills. Vacuum (no beater bars!) and mop using the cleaner made by the manufacturer of your floor.
PRO TIP: Rugs are a must for a heavy use kitchen: in front of the sink and stove, at exterior doors, under the breakfast room table. Investing in rugs with a quality rug pad will benefit you in the long term – the cost of rugs is far less than the cost to replace or refinish your floors. A quality rug with the right pad will protect your floors, but make sure the rug pad (or the backing of a rubber backed rug) specifically states that is is safe for hardwood and/or vinyl floors, is not too coarse and won't stain or discolor your floor.
Small Appliances -- Don't forget about your toaster ovens, coffee maker, and air fryer. Check the cleaning guide or look online for the best products to use on each appliance.
This tip is a combination of design and spring cleaning: reorganize your bookshelves. You probably haven’t noticed your bookshelves accumulating dirt and clutter over the years, but all of those books, knick knacks, and random tidbits add up to a lot of visual noise. Here are some styling tips: ~~Mix up the book placement – try a mix of vertical and horizontal arrangements. Do this both within the same shelf and then also try mixing up the way entire shelves are arranged so th
at one shelf is all horizontal and another is all vertical.
~~Arrange your books by color.
~~Use decorative objects – think sculptural. A beautiful bowl, plate or even a stack of boxes.
~~Go natural – use organic materials: a clear container filled with stones, a beautiful seashell or even an air plant.
~~Artwork – Definitely incorporate artwork into your shelf scheme. You can prop small pieces on the shelves and even hang larger pieces on the shelves themselves for an English library look
Mohawk is offering 18 month interest free financing on installed purchases of Mohawk carpet, hardwood, luxury vinyl, and laminate. A typical kitchen and family room (600 square feet) in LVP ranges between $4000 and $5000 fully installed. Your monthly payment on a gorgeous and easy to take care of floor is less than $300. Click here to be preapproved and get started on your project!
Coming To See Us?
Here's the link to reserve your private appointment time: